Friday, December 28, 2007

Our excellent adventure begins!

Well our absolutely amazing 14 year old daughter Sasha made a dream come true and bought me a great book for Christmas. For the last year I had been toying with the idea of making my own wine. Sasha bought me "The Way to Make Wine" and in less than 30 hours I digested the tome. Now Aisha my loving wife has had to accept that we are embarking on an adventure. It goes as follows:

At Harvest, we are going to buy a ton of Nebiollo grapes, the wonder fruit that makes the Barbaresca and Barolo's of the Piemonte region of Italy. It is a magical part of the world, and my wife and I dream of retiring there. So why not start emulating their wine.

HOWEVER first things first and we have some work to do! And this is our favorite kind of work: If we are going to make the wines of this storied region, and do it in a respectable manner, first we must taste as many wines from this region as possible. We will honor the tradition and achievements of these grapes, or get a little tipsy trying. We will start with value wines around $10-$15 then work our way up to the legendary vintages of the ages.

I will also share with you my adventures of procuring the grapes, supplies, and anything else that occurs during our romp. I intend to read a lot of books and will give you my opinions on each read. Also, I am going to study enology and pass all of my course knowledge on to you. Finally we will get into the nitty gritty as I record the experience of making wine.

A comment on format:
For each wine we will taste a two ounce pour of a freshly opened bottle, and then 10 minutes, 20 minutes, and 30 minutes from decanting. We I will list price and where it was purchased.

For each book, I will write a review. I am not a book critic, but as an avid reader, a teacher of sales, and a maniacal wine enthusiast, I feel my 2 cents will be if nothing else entertaining.

If you want to join us on this adventure, feel free to comment, they will all be published, as long as they are appropriate. Until the next time, happy sipping!

Technorati Profile

No comments: